Competitions are held monthly and are usually judged by an accredited PSQ judge. Members compete in the grades (B, AB, A) to which they have been allocated. Entries can be submitted in the nominated set subject category (see the Program for set subjects) and the open subject category. New members should note that miniprints may be entered by ungraded and B Grade members.
1. NEW MEMBERS may opt not to be graded and begin automatically in B Grade OR may be graded in Print, Slide or Digital Projected Image competitions by the committee prior to competing.
To receive a grade, new member are to submit up to TEN prints and/or slides and/or digital projected images for appraisal.
Prints & slides need to be graded separately. Graded slide and print workers may transfer whichever is the higher of their existing slide and print grades across to digital projected images, but can also seek to be regraded in DPI by submitting up to 10 images.
2. All images must have been taken by the entrant, within the previous three (3) years. Each entry must be clearly labelled with name, grade, subject and title.
3. Monthly Competitions usually include a nominated Set Subject and an Open Subject. See the the Program for details of set subjects for the year.
4. Lodge all entries with the Print, Slide and Digital Directors at the Club NO LATER THAN the scheduled Focus Night in the same month of the Competition OR two weeks prior to the competition night if there is no scheduled Focus Night. If you cannot attend the relevant Club night you may submit earlier.
5. Each member is permitted to enter a total of four (4) images in each monthly competition. These four (4) entries may be any combination of print or slide or digital projected images, so long as the number of images submitted in any one of these media does not exceed four (4) entries. For example, you may have 2 prints and 2 slides OR 2 prints, 1 slide and 1 DPI OR 2 slides and 2 DPI. Within each media, entries may be distributed in any manner between the set subject and open subject category. Set subject entries attract two (2) extra points.
6. If a member is found to have submitted more than 4 entries in total in any given month, the Director will have the right to remove whatever entries necessary to bring the total number of entries within the guidelines outlined above. If the error is not discovered until after the judging, the highest scored entries will be removed to bring the total number of entries within the guidelines. Any removed entries may be entered in subsequent competitions.
7. Submission requirements are as follows:
No minumum size restriction, with mounts not exceeding 16” x 20” (40cm x 50cm). All prints may be non-owner processed. DIGITAL prints are accepted in all categories.
On Back of Print
Draw arrow to indicate top of the photograph. Print next to arrow: Set or Open Subject, Grade, Title, Member Number. Example:
Title: Roses are Red
Member No: 610
Slide Mounts to be 2.25” x 2.25” (57mm x 57mm) ONLY. Slides must be spotted to facilitate proper projection. View the slide in hand as you wish it to be projected and spot the BOTTOM LEFT HAND CORNER of the mount.
Write set/open, grade, title and your member number on the slide.
Images must not be greater than 1400 pixels wide & 1050 pixels in height.
The file should be named per the following convention: set/open_grade_title_member number.jpg eg. set_B_Roses Are Red_610.jpg
PLEASE NOTE: Names, copyright information & image titles must not be included on DPIs. The Digital Director reserves the right to reject an image if it does not satisfy the club rules.
8. Slide, Print and Digital Projected Image entries may be used in only one monthly competition with the exception of NON-ACCEPTED (“Entered”) entries, which may be re-submitted in one further monthly competition.
9. An identical image, regardless of format (Print, Slide or Digital Projected Image) may be entered only once in a Monthly Competition & once in an Annual Competition.